The Palazzo Quirinale was commissioned by Pope Gregory XIII in 1573. Since malaria spread in the 16th century, the building on the highest hill of the city was to serve as a summer residence. Until the palazzo was completed around 1730, numerous renowned architects, including Bernini and Ferdinando Fuga, worked on its construction. Between 1870 and 1946 the palazzo served as the residence of the Italian royal family and since 1947 it has been the official residence of the President.
In Piazza del Quirinale there is an obelisk that originally stood at the entrance to the Mausoleum of Augustus. The 5.6 m high statues flanking the obelisk are the Dioscuri, Castor and Pollux, found in the Constantine baths.
Treasures of Rome – Rome Guided Tours
Roberto Alois Lautenschlager Kung
Via Tibullo 16, 00193 Roma RM
“ROMA AETERNA EST”
Rome is eternal – (Albius Tibullus)