Palazzo Spada was built around 1550 for Cardinal Capo di Ferro and is one of the largest city palaces in Rome. In 1623 the building passed into the possession of Cardinal Bernardino Spada, who had Borromini carry out restoration work in the 17th century.
The facade features statues of famous Romans, including Caesar, Augustus, Pompeius and Trajan. Borromini created a portico which, by using a perspective illusion, looks much longer than it actually is.
Inside, a 17th century art collection is on display, including works by Caravaggio, Albrecht Dürer, Salvator Rosa and Guido Reni, among others.
Treasures of Rome – Rome Guided Tours
Roberto Alois Lautenschlager Kung
Via Tibullo 16, 00193 Roma RM
“ROMA AETERNA EST”
Rome is eternal – (Albius Tibullus)