Palazzo Doria Pamphilj
Palazzo Doria Pamphilj is the largest inhabited palazzo in Rome. Larger than some royal castles, it is still the residence of the noble family and houses a valuable collection of art objects in the Galeria Doria Pamphilj, which is open to the public. The oldest parts of the palazzo date back to 1435. When Donna Olimpia Aldobrandini, married Camillo Pamphilj in 1647, the palazzo changed hands to the Pamphilj family.
The unified facade, visible today, was designed by Gabriele Valvassori, commissioned by Prince Don Camillo Pamphilj. The facade of the adjacent church of Santa Maria in Via Lata was built by Pietro da Cortona.
With the marriage, Donna Olimpia additionally brought a remarkable art collection to the family. This was further expanded by the marital union of the Pamphilj and the Doria family.
The Doria Pamphilj collection was officially established in 1603 by Monsignor Agucchi and represents one of the few untouched art collections to have survived the centuries. Among them are more than 400 paintings of the 15th-18th centuries, the famous portrait of Pope Innocent X, who comes from the Pamphilj family, as well as works by Caravaggio, Bernini, Rafael, Pietro da Cortona, Gobelin, Velázquez, Carraci and Claude Lorrain.
Palazzo Doria Pamphilj (Rome)
Skip-the-Line tickets for the Palazzo Doria Pamphilj
Monday – Sunday: 09:00 – 19:00
Buy your tickets here and skip the line!
Treasures of Rome – Rome Guided Tours
Roberto Alois Lautenschlager Kung
Via Tibullo 16, 00193 Roma RM
“ROMA AETERNA EST”
Rome is eternal – (Albius Tibullus)