Musei Capitolini

Musei Capitolini

The Cordonata leading to the Musei Capitolini

Pope Sixtus IV laid the foundation stone for the world’s first museum collection when he donated a collection of antique statues to the city in 1471. This was expanded by Pope Pius V in 1566. In 1734 Pope Clement XII declared Palazzo Nuovo and Palazzo dei Conservatori to be a public museum.


Among the most important pieces is the ancient equestrian statue of the Emperor Marcus Aurelius, which was wrongly thought to be a representation of Constantine.


Also important are the remains of the Temple of Jupiter, the Capitoline Wolf, the Capitoline Venus, the Dying Gaul, Bernini’s Medusa and Caravaggio’s John the Baptist.

Skip-the-Line tickets for the Musei Capitolini

Find more information and ideas about attractions in Rome here:

Slide
Rome Guided Tour
Impressum:

Treasures of Rome – Rome Guided Tours
Roberto Alois Lautenschlager Kung

Via Tibullo 16, 00193 Roma RM

“ROMA AETERNA EST”
Rome is eternal – (Albius Tibullus)