Slide
Fontana delle Tartarughe

The Fontana delle Tartarughe was built between 1581 and 1588 at the express request of the nobleman Muzio Mattei, within his piazza. Giacomo della Porta designed the fountain, which was originally supposed to have eight dolphins, but which were not used because the water pressure was too low. The turtles, which gave the fountain its name, were not added until the restoration a century later, commissioned by Pope Alexander VII.


The fountain is equipped with a water treatment system to prevent lime deposits. In 1979 one of the turtles was stolen. Subsequently, all of them were replaced by copies.


A legend tells that Duke Mattei had the fountain built in a single day to impress his future father-in-law. The next day he invited his fiancée and her father to the palace and let them admire the fountain from a window. Afterwards the duke had the window bricked up so that no one else could enjoy the view.

Fontana delle Tartarughe

Fontana delle Tartarughe (Rome)

Slide
Find more information about attractions in Rome here:
Slide
Slide
Rome Guided Tour
Impressum:

Treasures of Rome – Rome Guided Tours
Roberto Alois Lautenschlager Kung

Via Tibullo 16, 00193 Roma RM

“ROMA AETERNA EST”
Rome is eternal – (Albius Tibullus)